So today marks a special day for myself, since I am one year older (but not sure if I am one year wiser though!) Birthdays are celebrations that I used to love because of the cake, presents and parties, but as I get older I find that the most memorable part of these days is spending time with family and friends. Whether it is a few minutes or hours with them, it means the world to me to have them around. I have been so grateful for the incredible year so far in 2019, but I also wanted to express how excited I am for 22 *insert Taylor Swift’s 22 song*. I’ve never been able to reflect on my age, but to start off 22 on the right foot I wanted to write a list of what I learnt at 21. Each year has taught me some very important lessons, and really impacts the perspective I take on life. I started worldofwave about 9 months ago, but it has been a rollercoaster ride that has brought me to where I am today.
The lessons that I write on this list extend well beyond 21, but these were the most important ones that have been the highlights of being 21 years old. They are in no specific order, but I hope to share the life lessons I have learnt. Most importantly, I cannot emphasize how lucky I am to have such wonderful, caring, and genuine people in my life. Here they are:
Wave’s Words at 21
- Never compare yourself against others, because you are worthy just the way you are.
- Live for the moment, rather than letting a moment live for you.
- Do not fear expressing your emotions and feeling to others; you are only being human.
- Putting yourself first for once is not a flaw.
- Do not let anyone tell you that you are incapable of achieving your dreams and goals; show yourself that anything is possible.
- Be proud of your identity and culture regardless of what others say or do.
- Take on every challenge that comes your way, without any self-doubt
- Express gratitude every day for the people in your life that make you happy, smile, laugh, and feel loved.
- Be kind to yourself and others, because it’s the right thing to do.
- Positive vibes only, please and thank you.
- Dedicate a few minutes each day to call, text, or message the ones you love and care about.
- Time is priceless so cherish the seconds, minutes, and hours you get to spend with someone special.
- Trust your instinct and let your heart tell you what is right.
- Being different is not a flaw, but a strength.
- Be the role model and mentor that you needed as a child.
- Give everything you do in life 120%, and rise back up if you fall.
- Learn from the people in your past, but do not let them control your future.
- Find your true purpose in life, and carry through with confidence and passion.
- How you treat others and make them feel, says a lot about someone.
- Spread joy and happiness when you can, because it could shed some light in someone else’s life.
- Be like the waves – They rise and fall but never cease to leave the shore.
If there’s a will, there’s a wave.
Sending all the best to you,